Saturday, December 5, 2009

First Birthday Party







This will be really quick, as I am thoroughly exhausted. Who knew that a 1 year old's birthday party would be so stressful to execute! It was not all that I wanted it to be, due to circumstances beyond my control. My dad, Barb and Peter & Pat were supposed to come down from Syracuse to celebrate. Yes, my dad hates NYC so much, that he was driving the 5 hours down at 6am this morning and driving back at 2:01pm (the party ended at 2) this afternoon.

Well, at 7am, I got a call from my father saying that he was having dizzy spells, was nauseous and had a bad headache. Clearly, he should not have been driving. I'd much rather have him be safe and resting in Syracuse than risking his life (and Barb, Peter & Pat's) on the road. The worst part about this is that my dad has apparently been experiencing episodes like this for the past few months. Of course, although I know it is not the same, I can't help but think back to when my mom went in for a physical and the next call I got was that she had stage 4 colon cancer. She died 7 months and 12 days after I received that phone call. I realize that it is probably not anything like this. I still had this thought in the back of my head all day.

The set up was really hard, since we were 4 hands short. Taifa came around 11 and was a huge help, especially since she picked up the cake. The party was scheduled from 12-2, but of course, Kannon decided to extend his morning nap until 12:30! He made quite an entrance, though! He wore the outfit that Dashiell was supposed to wear on his first Christmas. I thought it was a nice was of "having Dashiell there" to celebrate with us.

Kannon had a blast. He still would not eat any cake. He did touch it, though, and proceeded to cry because he couldn't get the frosting off of his hands! All in all, he really enjoyed himself and I am so happy that so many of our dear friends were able to celebrate with us.

I will say that kids parties are expensive!!! Next year, I'm thinking no party, just a long trip to FL to see the cousins and go to Disney. Who would have thought that a trip to Disney would be less expensive!






No comments: